“I know of no greater need today than the need for joy. Unexplainable, contagious joy.Our country seems to have lost its spirit of fun and laughter….” ~ Chuck Swindoll
“Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
A harsh reality of the world we live in is that your kids will be bullied, experience pain, get picked last, be made fun of, get dumped by the opposite sex, get fired, lose a friend, fail a test and get grounded.
When pain strikes; our kids natural reaction will typically be frustration, anger or fear…but as parents, we must teach our kids to intentionally choose joy.
Mom & Dad…prepare yourself for a Captain Obvious moment…
The reason your kids don’t choose joy, is because YOU don’t choose joy!
BAM!! Can I get an AMEN!
My kids get a bad grade on their report card…I choose silence.
I get an unexpected bill from the IRS…I choose anger.
My son doesn’t make the “A” team on hoops…I tear down the coach.
If you want your kids to choose joy, YOU must choose joy!
Here are 8 tips I stole from Dr. Steven C. Riser to help you choose joy…
- Make a list of God’s blessings
- Develop the attitude of gratitude
- Learn to love what God loves
- Give (giving takes your eyes off yourself)
- Shift your focus (lack of joy typically points to a lack of Jesus)
- Create a comprehensive growth plan (If you do not have a plan and intention to grow spiritually, you will flounder your way through life)
- Focus on knowing, believing and meditating on God’s word
- Realize joy is a fruit (result) of being controlled by the Holy Spirit
Have you lost your joy? What is 1 thing YOU NEED to do today from the list above?